a small village
with a big history
Welcome to Ancrum & District Heritage Society
The Ancrum & District Heritage Society was formed to :-
- To promote the study of the history, archaeology and heritage of Ancrum and surroundings.
- To advance the conservation and understanding of the archaeological heritage of Ancrum and surroundings
- To communicate this knowledge to the wider community.
Here's some of the things we've been involved in locally :
- archaeological digs
- heritage trails
- school days
- public presentations
As a community group, Ancrum & District Heritage Society have set out three main projects that we think require further research, conservation and promotion. These include:
- The Mantle (or Malton) Walls site at the foot of Ancrum Village
- The Hogback Stone of Ancrum Kirk
- Old Ancrum Bridge at Cleikemin